Saturday, December 22, 2007

Old Woman vs. Escalator

So I was at the mall with my son on Dec. 21. We were waiting in line for him to see Santa. Our spot in line was right next to the escalator going up to the second level. Well, an elderly woman with a couple large bags (actual shopping bags, perverts) in one hand and a walking cane in the other approached the moving stairs. This looked like a potentially bad situation. With caution she placed her left her hand, the one with cane, on the moving hand rail. She did not have a firm grip of it as he black belt simply glided through her hand. Next she placed her left foot on the slowly moving step. She then tried to move her next foot onto the same step, but failed, miserably. She proceeded to fall on her backside. So here is the scene, little old lady with a cane and a bunch of bags on her back half way on and half way off the escalator. She looked like a turtle on it’s back. Meanwhile, a bunch of people in the Santa line witnessing this as well as several people at the escalator. I heard one lady say “Are you OK???” as she stared at the old woman and her multiple failed attempts at getting up. I soon realized that no one next to her was going to help her up, maybe they were all in shock, and I certainly was for a moment. So, I told my son to stay where he was and walked like ten feet over to help her up. I arrived at the same time as another woman, who I assume is some sort of people-helper because she was wearing scrubs. Together we helped the old woman to her feet. And it is a good thing we were both there because it certainly took both of us to get her off the ground. I am not sure what was in her bags, no not those one, her shopping bags (I know what was in the others, wink wink vomit), but they were heavy. Are granny panties heavy? Once she was to her feet she said “I knew that would happen. I hate these things.” My response was “Well there is an elevator like 20 feet over there” as I pointed it out to her. She ignored this suggestion and again attempted the escalator. The nurse asked if she needed her to ride with her to the top. The old woman declined, but the nurse helped her get on the first, apparently crucial step and she was on her way.

I thought about making this an entry in my must go series. This lady should have never been near the escalator, and she knew it. She even said she hates escalators! She could have easily taken the elevator, which was really close. Overall, I am glad she was ok and that she made it to the top of the escalator without further incident. She could have easily hurt herself badly. I was also glad to see someone else step in and help and who was willing to ensure the safety of another person. I also want it to be clear that I don’t think anyone was wrong for not stepping up and helping immediately. I think it took a lot of people by surprise. Finally, the nurse was fairly attractive, I know you were wondering.

So I wanted to add something funny and what is funnier than a kid getting hit in the nuts? Well the fat kid who sets up the nut hitting falling off his chair right before the hit. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Carlee Hoopes said...

SAAAANAP!!!

Good for you for helping an old woman this Christmas season. Did you get the nurse's number?

Chris Tittle said...

Yes I did! But I did not get her actual phone number.