Thursday, January 3, 2008

30th Birthday

Well my 30th birthday has finally come and gone. It is about damn time too. For some reason I started considering myself 30 the day I turned 29. Nothing too fantastic happened in the final year of my 20’s. My son started kindergarten which has been fun, but other than that, nothing really spectacular occurred. Right after I turned 29 I created a list I called “The Dirty 30” outlining 30 things I would have liked to have accomplished before I turn 30. I barely touched the list. I did not do a very good job, but that is just the way it goes sometimes. Overall though I would say it was a good year. There were some amazing times, there were some days that weren’t so great, but that is not unique by any sense.

Well below are a few pictures from my birthday party. Once again I am amazed by my closest friends. They all came out on a Thursday to celebrate with me. I truly am lucky to be surrounded by such a great group of people. The party was at “The Hotel” and Soul Redemption was playing. I have not mentioned them much before, but several close friends play in the band. At one point in the night someone thought it would be a great time for me to take my turn singing with the band. So during their reggae cover of “What’s Going On” (4 Non Blonde’s) I got up on stage and was handed a mike. Now, I could have said nothing and just got off the stage, but fuck that. It was my 30th birthday and it was time for me to bust out some freestyle. So I got the mike and here are a few of the lines I spit out (at least that I was told, I don’t really remember):

“I came to get my F* on, but first I need to get my drink on.”

(Andy hands me a beer) “Props to Andy for always taking care of me.”

“I may be turning thirty, but that don’t mean I won’t get dirty”

“I got older tonight, but I still ain’t gonna act right”

“I am up here doing some thinkin’, but it is tough ‘cause inside my brain is blinkin’”

That is pretty much the gist of it. I am not entirely certain how long I was up there, but it sure was fun. I got good feedback, from both the drunk and the sober patrons, so I suppose I did a decent job. It is too bad no one had a camera, other than me, to record it because it will probably never happen again.

No comments: